Erarta Foundation in collaboration with ZⓈONAMACO to Award the Largest Art Fair Prize Ever
ZⓈONAMACO, Latin America's leading art fair, will unveil the most substantial financial prize in recent art fair history—USD 100,000—this coming February 2024 in Mexico City. In a ground-breaking approach, the award's recipient will be chosen by the fair's attendees rather than a jury of art professionals.
The philanthropic Erarta Foundation, based in Vienna, Austria, and ZⓈONAMACO proudly announce their collaboration on the occasion of the fair's 20th anniversary, to be held from February 7 to 11, 2024, at Centro Citibanamex, Mexico City.
This novel prize initiative, known as the Erarta Foundation ZⓈONAMACO Art Prize, entrusts the public with selecting the 'Highlight of the Show'. Visitors will cast their votes from a curated shortlist of artworks. The piece garnering the majority of votes will be declared the winner, and the prize money will be shared equally between the artist and the presenting gallery. The award will be officially presented to the winning artist and gallery by representatives of both the Erarta Foundation and ZⓈONAMACO. The ceremony is to be held on the closing day of the fair, Sunday, February 11, 2024, in ZⓈONAMACO's Conversations Hall.
Dasha Vass, a Director at the Erarta Foundation, expressed her enthusiasm: “We are delighted to partner with ZⓈONAMACO as this initiative will help us advance in our mission of supporting and popularising contemporary art for the benefit of art lovers worldwide.” She added: “Erarta Foundation is especially pleased to offer the visitors of ZⓈONAMACO the opportunity to participate in financially rewarding the artist and the gallery exhibiting the work that will make the biggest impression on them.”
Zélika García, Founder of ZⓈONAMACO, added, “As we celebrate ZⓈONAMACO's 20th anniversary, the Erarta Foundation prize signifies our relentless pursuit to stay innovative and relevant. This collaboration underscores our dedication to artists and galleries and ensures a unique, ever-evolving experience for our visitors.”
Direlia Lazo, the Artistic Director of ZⓈONAMACO stated, "In the dynamic landscape of art fairs, prizes play a pivotal role in recognizing what's significant. This prize positions the artwork and its viewer at the heart of the experience, celebrating that moment of resonance when one encounters an artwork that feels both meaningful and current. Amidst the bustling commerce of the fair, it's a reminder that the genuine bond between art and its observer is truly invaluable.'
ZⓈONAMACO, first established in 2002, is one of the largest art fairs globally. Offering exhibition space for approximately 180 galleries from America, Asia and Europe, the selection of exciting contemporary and modern art on display is all-encompassing. Visitors are able to view and purchase photographs, paintings, drawings, installations and sculptures from both established and emerging artists via the gallery spaces within the fair.
With around 100,000 visitors expected over the 4-day show, ZⓈONAMACO is the leading art fair for Latin American art. In addition to ZⓈONAMACO México Arte Contemporáneo, there is also ZⓈONAMACO Diseño for works of art, furniture and jewellery, ZⓈONAMACO Salon which displays antiques as well as ZⓈONAMACO Foto for modern and contemporary photography.
Erarta Philanthropic Foundation is the founder of the Erarta Foundation & ZⓈONAMACO Art Competition (“the Art Competition”) and have established a Prize worth USD $100,000 (“the Award”) which is the largest award to be given at an art fair globally to date. This is also the first art prize ever that will be awarded as a result of an open public vote, as opposed to chosen by a board of experts.
To be eligible to enter the Art Competition, an applicant must:
(a) be a confirmed gallery participant of the ZⓈONAMACO 2024 Edition (Contemporary, Modern, Ejes, Sur or Photography),
(b) submit the application form on this page (“the Application Form”),
(c) agree with the corresponding Terms & Conditions (“T&C”).
APPLICATION FOR THE ART COMPETITION
All Application Forms must be submitted on or before 15th December 2023 (“the Application Deadline”). Any attempts of submission of an application in a different format will be disregarded. Unless all boxes of the Application Form are completed in full and in English where specified, the Application Form will be deemed not submitted for the Art Competition. Erarta Foundation accepts no responsibility for disregarding lost, delayed, damaged, defaced, or mislaid applications.
Each gallery may submit up to 3 (three) different artworks, each one in a separate application. The applicant may submit more than one artwork by the same artist, however the total submissions per gallery shall not exceed three artworks.
An applicant must not submit any artwork unless it is in the possession of any legal rights to do so, including but not limited to: the ownership rights and copyrights associated with the respective artwork; the ability to take part in the Art Competition without legal challenges and to be able to claim the Award if the artwork is a Winner.
RESTRICTIONS ON THE CONTENT
• Any of the artworks submitted for the Art Competition (“the Artworks”) must not be derogatory, offensive, threatening, defamatory, disparaging, libellous or contain any content that is inappropriate, indecent, sexual, profane, tortuous, slanderous, discriminatory in any way, or that promotes hatred or harm against any group or person or otherwise does not comply with the theme and spirit of the Art Competition.
• The Artworks must not contain content, material or any element that is unlawful, or otherwise in violation of or contrary to all applicable federal, state, or local laws and regulations including the laws or regulations in any state where the Art Competition and supporting statements and artworks are created.
• The Artworks must not contain any content, material or element that displays any third party’s advertising, slogan, logo, trademark, representation of characters indicating sponsorship or endorsement by a third party.
• The Artworks must not contain, incorporate or otherwise use any content, material or element that is owned by a third party including in terms of copyrights.
• The Artworks cannot contain any content, element, or material that violates a third party's publicity, privacy or intellectual property rights.
LEGAL IMPLICATIONS OF THE SUBMISSION FOR THE ART COMPETITION
These T&C will constitute a part of the sole agreement between Erarta Philanthropic Foundation (“EF”) and the applicant (“the Applicant” or “You”) – each one separately “the Party” and together “the Parties” - that shall be deemed concluded between the Parties on the date when your Application Form is submitted, on the following terms:
1. Amongst all Artworks, only some will be shortlisted for the Art Competition by the curators and put for public vote (the exact number of the chosen artworks will be determined by the organisers of ZⓈONAMACO art fair at their sole discretion). You hereby confirm that neither You, nor the author(s) of the Artwork(s) that you have submitted for the Art Competition, will dispute curators’ decision, or raise any claims due to non-appearance in the shortlist.
2. If the Artwork(s) submitted by You for the Art Competition is chosen for the shortlist, You hereby undertake to keep all such Artworks on public display at Your booth for the whole duration of ZⓈONAMACO art fair (7th – 11th February 2024), even if they are sold. You hereby acknowledge that none of the applicants, except for the winner of the Art Competition, will receive the Award or other reward from EF.
3. You represent and warrant that your Artwork does not violate any third party’s proprietary or intellectual property rights. If the content of your entry is claimed to constitute an infringement of any proprietary or intellectual proprietary rights of any third party, you shall, at your sole expense, defend or settle against such claims. You shall indemnify and hold EF harmless from and against any suit, proceeding, claims, liability, loss, damage, costs or expense, which EF may incur, suffer, or be required to pay to arise out of such infringement or suspected infringement of any third party’s right.
4. From the date when your Application Form is submitted, You accept your sole liability for any of the following (the list is not exhaustive):
- misrepresentation or wrong details of the artwork, its author or You;
- any breach of personal data processing requirements;
- any breach of any restrictions of content requirements as specified above;
- any breach of any ownership rights or copyrights of third parties that may be associated with the Artworks as a result of your submission for its participation in the Art Competition;
- non-compliance with these Terms and Conditions.
5. You hereby expressly allow EF to share any information that You have uploaded in Your Application Forms with the organisers of ZⓈONAMACO art fair and indemnify Erarta Foundation for the consequences of its further use by the organisers of ZⓈONAMACO art fair.
6. If the Artwork submitted by You is chosen as the winner of the Art Competition by public vote, it will be further hereinafter called “the Winning Artwork”, the author of the Winning Artwork – “the Winning Artist” and You – “the Winner”. You hereby undertake to sign the Award Agreement if You become the Winner. The Winner must sign Award Agreement on or before 28th February 2024 (“the Acceptance Deadline”), to get the Award.
Draft Award Agreement can be found by clicking
. You must not submit any artworks for the Art Competition unless you are happy to sign the Award Agreement with no amendments, except for the details of the Winning Artwork, Winning Artist and You, - please consult with your legal and tax advisors beforehand if you need any advice.
Unless the Award Agreement is signed by You, with your acknowledgement of being the Winning Artist, on or before the Acceptance Deadline, the obligation of Erarta Foundation to pay You the Award will cease on the day following the Acceptance Deadline.
7. If You become a Winner, You will procure Your and the Winning Artist’s presence at the award event that will be arranged by the organisers of ZⓈONAMACO art fair, for the whole duration of this event that will include Your and the Winning Artist’s talk to mass media and public.
8. You hereby agree that upon the receipt of the Award, You will split it in equal shares between You and the Winning Artist. If the Winning Artist is a collective, they will share their half of the Award between them at their own discretion. EF does not hold any responsibility for ensuring that the Winning Artist will receive their part of the Award from You, nor is EF legally responsible for settling any income tax or withholding tax or other tax liabilities or duties or fees that You or the Winning Artist may be obliged to pay in result of the receipt of the Award. The only responsibility of EF is to pay the full sum of the Award to the bank account of the Winner that will be specified in the Award Agreement.
9. You hereby give an express consent for EF (including its respective licensees, successors, affiliates and assigns) to publish, broadcast and distribute by any means any part of the information appearing in Your Application Form(s) including in particular: the image(s) of the Artwork(s) as well as any pictures of Your booth with members of the public in it, in addition to the artworks on display. These images can either be made by EF or received by EF from third parties during the art fair or at the award ceremony, - without limitation, on any public resources including social networks and in the promotion and advertising materials chosen by EF at its sole discretion, without seeking a permission from or paying any compensation to You or the artist(s) or any other persons.
10. You hereby irrevocably indemnify EF and agree to keep EF indemnified at all time against any liability, damage and costs that may arise if any party brings a claim against EF in any jurisdiction regarding any matter including but not limited to: loss of income, breach of the ownership rights or copyrights, misrepresentation, provision of the wrong information, breach of data processing requirements, violation of publicity or privacy, reputational damage, breach of any restrictions on content requirements specified above or any other kind of damage or loss or liability that such party may suffer due to EF using any of the rights granted to EF by You according to these T&C; such indemnity shall have no time or geographical limits.
11. You agree that any disputes between you and EF with regards to Your submission or taking part in the Art Competition or getting the Award if you become a Winner, will be subject to the law of England and Wales and You hereby subscribe for an exclusive jurisdiction of London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA), UK, whose decision will be final and binding upon both Parties; the language of the proceeding shall be English, and number of arbitrators shall be one.
Erarta Foundation has no obligation or intention to acquire the Winning Artwork.
The only responsibility of Erarta Foundation is to pay the Award to the Winner in accordance with these T&C and the Award Agreement. The Winner will be determined by a public vote that will be arranged by the organisers of the ZⓈONAMACO art fair. Erarta Foundation will have no power over the vote for the Art Competition.
If for any reason the Art Competition is not capable of proceeding as planned for whatever reason, force majeure or otherwise, any obligation of Erarta Foundation in respect to the Award will be cancelled and cease to exist.